Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Christmas List

 
 
Could have Beens
(by R.P.Edwards)

They could have been heroes
Standing so tall
Like David of old
A giant…to fall
Their hearts, resolute
Their votes, the smooth stone
A victory to win
Our praises…to own
But no, they succumbed
To the wiles of weight
And bowed to the press
Our future…to hate
So now “we” must battle
For life, and for home
Because “could be” heroes
Must now be…disowned


“You’re going to put on Christmas music after you drop me off, aren’t you?”  “Yes, most likely.”  The end conversation before this morning’s college drop off.  She and I had been listening to “her” contemporary fare, but I wanted some “comfort music” on the way home.  Perry began with “White Christmas,” and it got me to thinkin’.

Well, it’s been a couple days since the “vote” and, since I half expected it, my disappointment is not debilitating.  I am, however, rather downcast about the vote of my pro-life Rep, Jerry Costello, and Rep Stupak, the former champion of the unborn.  And yes, and of course, this monstrosity of a bill is about so much more than abortion.  But, for me, and for many others, that was the ultimate deal breaker.  And to surrender your sword for the promise of a temporary executive order?  Outrageous.

And so, as the President signs, and his followers sigh.  As the Senate digs in, for the war to begin. As State attorney generals prepare, for the scourge of Obamacare; at least we have a list.  At least we have a Christmas wish list to prepare for, strive for, work for.  It’s a roll call for rollbacks; a desire, for retire.  It’s a wake up call and walking papers for those who couldn’t slow down and make a “good” bipartisan fix to the healthcare system, and instead forced this poison porridge down our collective throats.  Yes, it’s time for the Christmas list.  And, sadly, my Representative…occupies the first spot.

That’s what I think.  How about you?  Click comments below…and say.

2 comments:

Wesley Sargent said...

I didn't realize that Jerry Costello voted for it...sorry to hear that.

It's just further proof that there is no such thing as a pro-life democrat...speaking of Christmas lists, those Pro-life Dems are as make believe as Santa!

The Layoff Letters said...

Yes, W, it's sad. Jerry has voted "pro-life and pro-traditional marriage" in the past. But...that's the past. Perhaps retirement is due. What a shame.