Monday, February 22, 2010

It's all about nothing

 
 
It’s all about nothing
(by R.P.Edwards)

It’s all about nothing
But “nothing” has parts
Little plus little
Of gadgets…and hearts
Of sleeping and dreaming and waking and do
A life full of segments
And time is the glue
Yes, it’s all about nothing
But “nothing” …is all
So tend to your “nothings”
Till eternity’s…call


“The evidence is pretty clear; Tiger Woods and John Edwards had a better year than the Stimulus.”  A statement by Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) on a Sunday morning talk show.  Thought it was funny; but it’s not the subject of this blog.

“Do I need to hide the scissors?” A statement “I” made to my fourteen year old daughter who was easing into the school day by watching the end of the Disney film, Mulan.  It was on the Disney channel this a.m., but when it was released on video (sometime after 1998), my youngest girl-child wanted to emulate the Chinese folk heroine by cutting her “own” hair.  [Don’t know what I’m talking about?  Rent the movie, or google]  This, too, is not the subject of this blog.

Last night we had some relatives over for socializing and, betwixt tactics and tosses the subject of “Unions” came up.  The elder gent said, “If it wasn’t for unions, we’d all be paid fifty cents an hour.”  His Mrs. countered, “I don’t like how they influence decisions made in Washington.”  And I wondered to myself why so many of my union “leaders” throw their lot in with the pro-abortion, pro-gay agenda crowd, and how the landscape would change if “unions” took a different stand.  But this, too, is not the subject of this blog.

Finally, after my daily devotions I scribbled a couple scriptures on a note-card, intending to include it in the curriculum of the home-schoolers.  Since Thomas Jefferson thought it necessary to include four mentions of deity in the Declaration of Independence, I figured I could at least have my young’uns learn some of the Almighty’s words.  But this too is not the subject of this blog.

The subject of this blog is, however… “nothing.”  Yes, all the many nothings of our everyday lives.  For, if you’re anything like me, you tend to look back and take notice of the “outline;” the chapter headings, the highs and lows of bygone years.  But it’s in the filler of the paper…the intimate places where every letter is individually, personally laid down…that’s where life…is ultimately lived.  Yes, it’s all about nothing.  But, my friend, nothing…is all.

That’s what I think.  How about you?  Click comments below…and say.

No comments: