Friday, February 5, 2010

The Baseline

The Baseline
(by R.P.Edwards)

The baseline
The standard
The foundation
The stone
The measure
Forever
The future
To hone 
But
Now we’ve been told
That the past
Is askew
Yes
It took all this time
To discover
What’s true


“Here, put this plastic tube in your mouth; take a deep breath, and then, when I say so, blow till you almost pass out.”  A paraphrase of the instructions given to me at one of the many stations at my yearly work physical. Also on the menu was an EKG, X Ray, blood pressure check, vision, ears, chat with the doc, and a refit of a respirator (that I’ll probably never use).  That “respirator” thing meant I had to leave my beloved goatee in the sink (alas.)

The thing about “Physicals” is that there is a known “norm.”  We have established long ago (“we” as in smart people, not me) how a “healthy” body will respond or register.  Anything outside these parameters…and there’s a problem; a problem that needs to be addressed.  And, since we humans have limited warranties (the “physical” body anyway) as I get older the company is adding on some extra checks to make sure I’m not on the verge of keeling over.

The other day the Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, said something that scared me.  He said, “We have received our orders from the commander in chief and we are moving accordingly.”  He was referring to, as you might surmise, the President’s view of human sexuality and its--as far as human rights go-- equality with race.  In other words, open homosexuality should be allowed and accepted in the military.  

Now, a couple days ago (when I started this blog) this discourse would have been more passionate and pointed.  Indeed, when I began I had a lighthearted fantasy concocted of how Arlington National Cemetery would be converted to farmland since the soil, due to the multiplied thousands of interred rolling in their graves, made the land perfect for crops.  However, let me forgo all that and just ask, again: When the vote was cast for Hope and Change, was it your desire that the “Don’t ask, Don’t tell” policy be discarded?  Was it your hope that human sexual preferences be put on par with ethnicity?  Was it your dream that abortion would be expanded and established--even more than it is--as a constitutional right?  Did you really yearn for larger government and a greater tax burden?   

I began this tepid piece (sorry) with the story of the baseline.  As a nation, our foundation, our “baseline,”  goes back to a time when modern interpretations of the constitution were unthinkable.  Understand, I do not question the sincerity of the president (or that of the many new hires), but I do question their vision…or should I say “revision.”  And, if I am in the minority…so be it.  But, before I consign myself to that place, I’d like to know for sure…Is this really the change you wanted?

That’s what I think.  How about you?  Click comments below…and say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RP - Unfortunately, for many who voted for this President, I believe this is part of the change they wanted. He promised to address it, and having been setback on other battle lines, he has decided that he will engage in this less "offensive" skirmish. It is only less offensive (thus the quotes) in terms of the fact that it doesn't directly affect the financial bottom line of our country or our families. Although it may affect my financial bottom line! As a country, we've decided that we cannot legislate morality, but by default, we've decided to legislate immorality. I much prefer the statement of the former chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff General Peter Pace, in March 2007, "I do not believe the United States is well served by a policy that says it is okay to be immoral in any way."

Thanks for your continued vigilance on this topic...as a nation, we so quickly forget!

- The Warrior