Monday, August 16, 2010

The Farmer and the Seed

 
 
The Farmer Knows
(by R.P.Edwards)

The farmer knows the value
As he holds the lowly seed
For he sees the harvest waving
The multitudes…to feed
And he understands the process
The sweat, the time…the pain
Yet still he does the planting
For he sees
The greater…gain



Ella don’t want no kids.  Ella gets rid of them…early.  I’m speaking of course, of the recently approved “week after” pill that prevents “pregnancy” even when taken up to five days after intercourse.

Now, I read quite a few articles on the controversial import--which comes from France, naturally--and there seems to be shades of the ol’  “It depends on what the definition of “is”…is.” In other words, when does “pregnancy” actually begin?  Some (many) say…at conception (the joining of the sperm and egg).  Others…after implantation (when the “zygote” actually attaches to momma’s uterus).  Apparently the wonder drug prevents ovulation (the discharge of the egg. Non-abortive) but also may prevent implantation (abortive).  Thus, the controversy.

So, where do I stand on the subject?  If it only, ONLY prevents ovulation; I’m okay with that.  If it indeed (as some suggest) kicks the tiny one to the curb…I call it…abhorrent.

You know, I’m sure I’ve written about this somewhere in the archives, but it all comes down to the value of the person (a price, I might add, determined by the Creator).  I truly believe each individual is unique and precious and has an intrinsic right to receive care, protection, nurturing…and, of first importance, recognition.  And I wonder, since we are so shortsighted; I wonder just how many of God’s gifts to humanity we have callously thrown away; all because we could only see the adversity…of now.

To conclude: Here’s a bit of wisdom from--of all places--Frank, the pug; spoken during a scene from the movie, “Men in Black.”

“You humans; when are you gonna learn that size doesn’t matter.  Just ‘cause something’s important doesn’t mean it’s not very, very small.” 

Amen, Frank. Amen.

****

No comments: