Thursday, January 7, 2010

No Snow Day



Snow Day?
(by R.P.Edwards)

White and wonderful
falling down
Dancing children
Play the clown
Teachers…sleep in
A winter’s gift
But for other slugs
“Go work your shift!”


You’d call it a walk-in basement.  Towards the front of the house…it's underground.  In the back…a sliding glass door that leads to the rather large back yard.  I remember as a kid ( no internet) getting up in the middle of the night and making my way to the glass portal to cipher the accumulation.  With a flip of the light switch I’d watch it come down and even though I grew up in a New England town (accustomed to the winter white stuff) I knew that if a certain height was reached…no school.  For confirmation…the radio.  If my school was mentioned…joy.

It’s early in the a.m. and the local television stations are milking our little snow storm for all its worth (this is “not” New England).  Yes, school is cancelled (cancelled “before” the first flake) and, even though we home school…we tend to mirror the other guys schedule.  For the children…joy.

Alas, there are many whose occupations are oblivious to the blizzard.  No snow days.  No snow angels.  No snowmen, leisurely built between snowball “pops.”   As I stepped into the home last night (after a double), my son asked if my work would be cancelled on the morrow.  “No, son, it would take another foot or two for that possibility.”  However, in-between my steel mill tasks this day, perhaps a snow angel would be appropriate.  I wonder if the plant manager would accommodate?

That's what I think. How about you?  Click comments below...and say.

1 comment:

justaddmidget said...

I dont think the plant manager will help with the snow angels . But if you need a hand making snow angels, or if there is no snow, we can do grease, scale, dust, or gravel angels. Just let me know if you need any help