Friday, July 2, 2010

The 51st State

 
State 51
(by R.P.Edwards)

Let’s lump them all together
Let’s make them all a state
Complete with bird and anthem
Oh, wouldn’t that be great!?
Two senators for venting
And reps?
Yes, quite a few
And on the flag
Another star
One less, than fifty-two
Yes
Let’s lump them all together
These leftward leaning loons
Who treat the rest as ignorant
Uncivilized, and goons
For oft we’ve been discordant
Our nerves, the others grate
So
Let’s lump them all together
These cities, now, a state!

“This lawsuit, I hope, will allow me to bring my handgun into the city legally…I only want a handgun in my house for my protection.” So said Otis McDonald; 76 years old, retired maintenance engineer, army veteran, democrat, long time resident of Chicago. 

Makes sense.  His neighborhood had deteriorated.  The whole citizen watch thing hadn’t worked out and, by the time police show up…he and his loved ones could very well be ruining the carpet with their freshly spilled blood.  Maybe, just maybe, a personal, last resort firearm…would be a deterrent, or at least level the playing field a bit.

Well, Mayor Richard Daley and his kind would (and will) have none of it.  Even though the Supreme Court has ruled in Mr. McDonald’s favor, the mayor of Chicago is determined to keep guns out of the hands of the law abiding citizens.  Apparently he’s oblivious to the fact that criminals…DON’T FOLLOW THE LAW!

Now, I suppose I could, with a little more research, more succinctly lay out the 2nd Amendment pro-gun argument, but, what catches my interest at this time is not the “whether ’tis or tisn’t” but, the question that troubles my midwestern mind is, “What in the world is wrong with our larger cities?”  For the life of me I don’t understand why so many of our major metropolises are bastions of left-leaning liberal think.  Whether it be gun rights, abortion, basic traditional morality; if you want the leftward view and practices…go to the big city.  If fact, as a Land of Lincoln resident, I don’t know how many times I’ve heard, “If it wasn’t for Chicago, Illinois would be alright.”  I presume similar sentiments abound in other states.

So, here’s a proposition: Since they are so alike, and since modern technology makes distance, moot; how about we bunch all the like-minded big cities together…and make them a separate state.  Yes, no longer would they have to deal with the ‘country bumpkins’ and, like every other of the fifty, they’d have senators, representatives, a governor, an anthem, a state bird, tree, bug, etc; and we wouldn’t dilute their vote, and they…wouldn’t tilt ours.  Now, the question remains, “What would we name this super city?”  Bostonians may suggest, “The Big Bean.” New Yorkers might offer, “The really Big Apple.” But, I think the more appropriate and obvious handle would be…Babylon. 

Comments welcome.

No comments: