Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Mariam Ibraheem














Mariam Ibraheem
(by R.P.Edwards)

Bold confessions
Are Easily said
Where freedom guards
The speaker's bed
But feel the knife
THEN speak the words
These, my friend
Are in heaven
Heard


Jesus said, 32 “Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.
(Matthew 10:32,33)


Hopefully the reader knows the story: Mariam Ibraheem, a Sudanese citizen, was accused of apostasy (i.e. leaving Islam) and sentenced to death unless she recanted her new-found Christian faith (Truth: she NEVER was a Muslim; always a Christian. She did, however, marry an American who was also a Christian). Shackled in prison (also caring for a toddler), she gave birth to her second child, all-the-while pressured by visitors to renounce and renew. She refused.

Just a thoughtful observation: How easy it is for we American believers to say we are followers of the Nazarene. We who had this "freedom" handed to us (we certainly didn't earn it). We, who only risk having our "feelings" hurt for our proclamation (rather than facing the noose or the knife). And I wonder; I wonder if I--knowing my predisposition to compromise and "get along"--I wonder if I would be so bold as to place my head, willingly, in the noose as brave Mariam Ibraheem did. I hope so. 

Anyway, she could use some support (prayers and otherwise). Here's a link to her website:  Mariam Ibraheem

"I had my faith in God...I knew that God would help me"
(Mariam Ibraheem)

****

No comments: