Saturday, February 5, 2011

Savior and Lord?


 
 
First, the mirror
(by R.P.Edwards)

Look into the mirror
Before you cast the stone
Before you speak of error
Be mindful of…your own
But love includes correction
A pointing to…the way
And soothing misdirection
Is akin
To satan’s…say


Following are a few excerpts from President Obama’s remarks at the most recent National prayer breakfast.

“And it was through that experience working with pastors and laypeople trying to heal the wounds of hurting neighborhoods that I came to know Jesus Christ for myself and embrace Him as my lord and savior….

…My Christian faith then has been a sustaining force for me over these last few years.  All the more so, when Michelle and I hear our faith questioned from time to time, we are reminded that ultimately what matters is not what other people say about us but whether we're being true to our conscience and true to our God.  “Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well…

 …When I wake in the morning, I wait on the Lord, and I ask Him to give me the strength to do right by our country and its people.  And when I go to bed at night I wait on the Lord, and I ask Him to forgive me my sins, and look after my family and the American people, and make me an instrument of His will.”

Now, as a Christian, when the president mentions embracing Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior; well, that gets my attention.  When he quotes the “Seek first His kingdom…” scripture; that is a natural draw. And, when he contritely speaks of asking for forgiveness of his sins and requesting help to be “an instrument of His will,” well, that’s disarming and endearing.

But then, alas, I am mindful that none of this translates to Biblical views on the moral issues of our day.  Indeed, under His watch and direction, babies are wholeheartedly slaughtered in the womb, and God‘s sacred definition of marriage…is muddied.  And, to make matters worse, since he links the Lord with his doings, he associates deity…with the damnable.

Oh, how I wish he had merely feigned admiration for the teachings of the Nazarene!  If he had but spoken of a personal faith in “a” god, and that Christianity was merely a facet of his broad definition. But no, he calls Jesus, Savior and Lord, and thus ties his conscious acts with those of the beloved Son of God.  Dear reader, this is gross error and it must be brought to light.  And, oh, how I wish his spiritual counselors (some of whom I think actually are) would man up to the measure.  But, perhaps they too, are quite deceived.

Now, please understand, I believe a person can be a Christian--receive the forgiveness offered by the atoning sacrifice of the Christ--and still be terribly wrong in other areas.  Indeed, the south was full of “believers” during the Civil War years; yet, their justification of the horrid institution of slavery had nothing, NOTHING!, to do with the Word made flesh.  Oh, they may have ascribed to themselves a righteous cause, but “His” hand could not bless, for they were in error.  Even so, President Obama (and the many in power who make the proclamation), since he and they are so terribly wrong concerning the sacrifice of God’s children, it is only natural to assume that the Lord’s full blessing cannot attend to their prayers in the measure desired.  Repentance; true repentance, is a requirement of absolution.  And abortion, make no mistake about it, is a vile, heinous, sin. It’s a stench in the nostrils of the Almighty.  And, to claim His “Lordship” and then endorse that which He hates; well, that invites His rebuke.

To conclude: Mr Obama is my president.  It is not unusual for his name to be mentioned in the family‘s evening prayers.  But…words, no matter how eloquent and moving, must be backed up by corresponding action.  Yes, the words are wonderful, but the actions…betray. My impossible hope, however, is that in all the speaking…there is a grain of sincerity.  For if there is; if he truly does want the Lord’s direction; then the direction will eventually come. And, might I suggest speeding up the process by dropping the counselors, and simply picking up…the Book.

Here’s a link to the Transcript: Prayer Breakfast


****

No comments: