Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Our Fight




Our Fight
(by R.P.Edwards)

As they have fought
To keep us free
Let us defend
Their bended knee




While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian.

 George Washington


Veterans Day. From the restaurant window I saw fire fighters atop their truck, pausing at each light post to place a flag; preparation, no doubt, for the ensuing parade. I waved as they passed. They waved back.

As I've written somewhere, I'm a veteran of sorts. No, not the battle tested kind. But one of those "peacetime" occupiers. Truly, the only real danger I faced in my troubled youth was of my own design.      Long ago.

Anyway, my thoughts on this day are not so much on the sacrifice of the many (of which I am thankful and, if the reader has a few minutes, the above song speaks at length of the WWII generation), but more on how in recent years the "separation sickness" that was birthed in and has now moved beyond academia; beyond courts and congresses and classrooms; of how it even now infects those needful military institutions that would bid our young men and women willingly sacrifice themselves even unto death, but, at the same time, the divine connection that molds and makes them more than just good soldiers, but makes them...GOOD soldiers; this, my friend, is forbidden.

So, my thinking is...it's time for "us" to fight. It's time for "we" civilians to come to "their" defense. For, this damnable, godless tide that wreaks and has wreaked havoc in our society needs to be battled back before our military; the defender of all...loses its very soul.

****

No comments: