Friday, August 15, 2014

Liberating Love









Liberating Love
(by R.P.Edwards)

Your selfless love
Has set me free
From prisons past
From guilty me
And in your eyes
No qualm I see
Or fear of pain
From guilty me
But only love
That reaches in
And cuts the tie
Of clinging sin
And sees me new
Makes me believe
Your selfless love
Has set me...free



I don't remember the exact day, or month, or even *year. However, I  do remember the television show; "You Write the Songs." It was hosted by noted celebrity, Ben Vereen and, since I believed that the Lord had put a songwriting talent in me (and there was a cash prize!) I wanted to submit something to this "contest." That's how the song, "Liberating Love" (above) was born.

Yes, I still vaguely remember going about my janitorial duties at the time (in college, and working a part time job) and pondering what to submit. After all, I was, for the most part, used to writing religious fare. Surely this wouldn't do. So, I considered...and cleaned...and eventually a simple song of redemptive love came to be.

The production was the most basic. No recording studio; just me, an autoharp and a couple cassette recorders in a room with a lovely reverb. 

Well, it never made it to the show. And, no other "music" entity seemed interested. It did, however, make it into a few weddings. But, for the most part it has remained forgotten, and as time wears and tears...its end was in sight.

Well, a little while ago I was searching the abode for an old cassette player that might actually work (hard to come by these days). I wanted to play some instructional cassettes I had purchased at the Goodwill. My search also turned up a copy of a copy of...Liberating Love. This is the recording (after some cleaning and preening) that is above. I hope, with its rebirth, that some will be blessed. And, although it is secular in nature, the principle...is divine. 

 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
(Romans 5:8)

*P.S. Naturally, I looked it up. The show was from 1986-1987
P.S.S The background photo is the actual player used to play the recording. 

****






No comments: