Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Missionaries needed

 
 
Really?
(by R.P.Edwards)

I puzzle at the pondering
While on the judgment seat
The murderer, most heinous
Awaits the jury’s…mete
For tearfully and trembling
They debate his final breath
The justice due
For someone who
Put innocence…to death

I was searching for a Christmas station.  The old Buick needed a fill-up so I cruised across the state line and put the radio on “scan.”  You see, a year or so ago a couple local radio stations went Christmas…mad.  Immediately after Halloween they started playing nonstop holiday tunes.  And…I liked it.  Well, apparently I was one of few for now…they are waiting.  I suspect “Frosty the snowman” and “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas” will make a showing after the Thanksgiving bird…is no more.  And, as for the scan; for a moment I thought I had found my desire, but, alas, it was only the London Bach (boys) Choir giving the intro to “The Rolling Stones” classic, “You can’t always get what you want.”

Four days.  That’s how long it took the jury in Connecticut to sentence Steven Hayes to death after his grisly part in the murder of Dr. William Petit’s wife and daughters.  Of the action, the lone survivor said, "Vengeance belongs to the Lord. This is about justice. We need to have some rules in a civilized society."

And I think to myself, “What in the world is wrong with a society where life in the womb is slaughtered with abandon, and the thought of depriving a heinous murderer of “his” right to live (because, frankly, his actions nullify that right)…causes great pause and trepidation?” And I must conclude it is a malady of the soul.  A foundational drift.  A spiraling…of the spirit.  A disturbing twisting of right, and wrong…and reality.  And the solution, dear reader, is revival.  A revival akin to the Great Awakening that prepared the fallow ground of New England for the seed of Liberty.

And yes, I know there are many of “faith” who think no human act ever merits…execution.  We’ll save that debate for another day.  But for now, I “need a little Christmas…right this very minute…”

****

No comments: