Wednesday, January 25, 2012





Worthless Words
(by R.P.Edwards)

Words that woo
Are wonderful things
They draw the lover...near
But with time, and lies
Now "words" despise
Save these
"Get out of here!"


My thoughts on the President's State of the Union address? Didn't listen to it.  Didn't care to. Didn't want to. Sure, I was at work--that would have been a good excuse to excuse ("Excuse" [noun and verb] is an example of a "Heteronym," words that are spelled the same but have different pronunciations and meanings. Did I know that? No. I just looked it up) but, with a little effort I could have garnered a line or two but, frankly, honestly, after over three years of "deeds"...I cared not a whit what silky sentences were uttered by our chief executive.

Again, I have no personal animosity towards President Obama.  And yes, I acknowledge his skill in the media's measure of worth...speech.  But, alas, his actions are as the overpowering industrial noise of my job; they drown out all but the most deliberate utterances.

On second thought, did I listen to the State of the Union address? Yes...I, over the last three years have listened to it; seen it; felt it; travailed over it.  And, the State of the Union is, unquestionably...dire.  I only hope that the majority of Americans, this coming November, are not so, AGAIN, enthralled by the rapturous wrapping paper...that they forget to look into the empty box.

****


2 comments:

Leona Salazar said...

Beautifully said. I, too, couldn't stomach watching the SOTU speech last night either.

David Walker said...

Have sent to everyone I know...well said.