Monday, October 3, 2016

In memory of Pedro Gomez

Pedro Gomez 1956-1985




Not of Works
(by R.P.Edwards)

Working 
Striving
See me shine
Pumping
Preening
All is mine
But Heaven's gate
Takes NONE of these
Just simple faith
On bended knees



28 Therefore they said to Him, “What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.”
(John 6:28,29)



Yes, yes, it's been a long time since I clicked the keyboard and offered my simple analysis and insight. 

I'd like to say I was on sabbatical; exploring and expanding my view of things. But no, I have been here, in my humble Midwestern digs, mulling about and NOT blogging. 

Oh, with all the doings of the candidates (debate etc) I've had many a thought that, "Hey, I could write about that." But "those" thoughts lacked the strength and stamina to get me moving.

But this post, dear reader, IS weighty AND worthy. You see, in my office (of sorts) there is a book shelf which contains the odds and ends of a life somewhat disorganized. Among the clutter are two year books from a Christian college I attended in the eighties. Perhaps I'll speak more of it sometime, but since the Lord has allowed me some musical talent, I was asked (in 1985) upon the tragic death of a fellow student, to come up with something for a memorial gathering. The song, "Jesus, He is my only claim," is the result.

His name was Pedro Gomez, 29, and his desire was to lead others to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ; the Savior he had accepted just three years prior. I didn't "know" Pedro very well (I, a married type in married housing, and he, not) but we were, and ARE, brothers. And although his cut-short existence didn't allow for a longer re'sume', it turns out only "one" item is needed.

Anyway, I had the mindset to YouTube (ize) some old songs. This one came to mind; as did the yearbook; as did Pedro. I think God is in it. 

God bless you as you listen.  Jesus, He is my only claim

**** 

No comments: