Sunday, August 14, 2011

Iowa Debate 2012






For mood enhancement, click selection above, then read on...




Dad I
(by R.P.Edwards)

As a little lad
I thought it sad
That daddy watched the news
I thought it dull
To sit and mull
While talkers talked the blues
Now here am I
So far from spry
But something’s taken hold
I stay up late
And watch debate
I guess I’m getting old



It was waiting for me.  Somewhere near the top of the list the Iowa debate from a couple days ago.  I knew it was there, but I was detained and drained, but now…for fun…I’ll watch it.

Ok, I “watched” it.  After whipping up some pancakes, and with momma out of the house, I reclined on the bed and watched the eight presidential wannabees face off.  Those in attendance were, former governors Tim Pawlenty, Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman; Congressfolk Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul; former speaker Newt Gingrich; former senator Rick Santorum, and business guy, Herman Cain.  And, not in attendance, but a presence none-the-less, Texas Governor Rick Perry.  Now, I really did watch it.  Even took notes. And only dozed off about five times (for a moment or two, rewinding to regroup).  But, I just don’t feel like tediously expounding (there are plenty of other expounders about).  So, I’ll summarize with a poem.


The Gist of the List
(by R.P.Edwards)

Pawlenty and Bachmann
Duked it out
Ron Paul’s posse
Gave a shout
Cain knows more
Than he knew before
Santorum said,
“Give me the floor!”
Newt was grouchy
That was clear
Huntsman, huh?
Should he be here?
Mitt was cool
In his tailored suit
All had come
Their horns to toot
They spoke of how
They’d save the farm
Fixes for
Obama’s harm
Traditional marriage
Babies worth
America’s place
On planet earth
Then they were asked
Of Perry’s plan
Of how they viewed
The Texas man
Then one and all
With tepid grin
Said
“The water’s fine
Just step on in!”


And again, my assessment?  I’d take any one of them over the current occupant of the white house.
_____

One more thing.  The previous post shares some family happenings this week.  Thanks for the messages of sympathy.  Also, it just so happens that in my Bible reading I was slowly cruising through the Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes.  Here was a verse that stood out (appropriate, I thought).

“It is better to go to a house of mourning than to a house of feasting, because that is the end of every man, and the living take it to heart.” (Ecclesiastes 7:2)


At the funeral of my father in law there was an abundance of tears and tender hearts.  The minister, as many ears were open,  wisely reminded these that there was also a coming “end” for each, and that the proper preparation for the inevitable involves a personal reaching to the way maker…Jesus Christ.  I invite the reader also, for a moment, to pause and consider your individual end (it‘s not that far away).  And, if considering brings unction, click on the section titled, “Of first Importance” in the upper right corner.

****


No comments: